Monday, June 9, 2014

Portugal: Statue of King Joseph I in Lisbon

When we arrived in Lisbon, the temperature was, for us, too hot. But then again, we don't do heat very well. So, tired from our flight, and having checked into our hotel, we decided to explore our new neighbourhood; the Baixa. A short stroll took us from our hotel location on Rua dos Sapateiros to the broader, somewhat more majestic, Rua Augusta. About 3-4 blocks down this street we found the Praça do Comércio.

The centerpiece of the Praça do Comércio is the statue of José I (Joseph I). The bronze statue, inaugurated in 1775, shows the king on a horse trampling snakes. The statue is set on a monumental pedestal decorated with large sculpture groups (see the postcard picture) and overlooks the majestic square.

The centerpiece of the Praça do Comércio is the statue of José I (Joseph I)  2014-05-05
The centerpiece of the Praça do Comércio is the statue of José I (Joseph I)  2014-05-05

No comments:

Post a Comment